In support of S.O.S. -- Starting Over Safely -- 2022 Summer Matching/Crowdfunding Campaign
Globally 81,000 women and girls were killed in 2020, and 58 percent of them died at the hands of an intimate partner or a family member. This is equal to a woman or girl being killed every 11 minutes.
Did you know that in Canada one woman is killed in a violent act every three days? In Israel, the situation is just as critical: in the first year of the COVID-19 pandemic, 20,140 domestic violence complaints were lodged with police, an increase of 12% from the previous year, and according to the Women’s International Zionist Organization (WIZO) over 60 women were murdered since 2020. In fact, twelve women have been murdered in the first six months of this year.
Support of the CHW S.O.S (Starting Over Safely) Campaign — and the Calgary Centre Walk — will:
- Provide financial help for parents and families in need of an urgent response.
- Provide access to critical resources such as legal counsel and counselling services.
- Provide women and their children with the basic essentials to start over safely.
- Empower women and their children by providing financial help, social and personal support, employment support, and a network of other women in similar circumstances.
- Provide women and their children with specially trained canine protection.
- Fund respite summer camp experiences for at-risk youth.
The goal of each program we are supporting is to help break the cycle of violence and empower survivors to start over safely both in Israel and Canada.
Please join us for our Calgary Centre Walk! You have the power to empower.
Don’t miss out on the fun! Join CHW Calgary Centre for our next great event, HIGH Fitness. To learn more and to register, click here.
If you have any questions, please contact Irena Karshenbaum, Development Officer, Western Canada at 403-253-4612 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
CHW Calgary Centre Team